Search by Genre:
The Mosaic Story:
- Shipping Costs
- Order Online or by Phone
- 9-5 EST Mon-Fri
Track Listing, Personnel & Recording Dates
John Coltrane: The Complete Sun Ship Session (3 LPs)(#3005)
JOHN COLTRANE: THE COMPLETE SUN SHIP SESSION
Mosaic MRLP 3005
1. Dearly Beloved Takes 1 & 2, false start and alternate version 6:36
2. Dearly Beloved Take 3, breakdown 1:24
3. Dearly Beloved Take 4, released version 6:17
1. Attaining Take 1, alternate version 13:38
2. Attaining Take 2, breakdown 1:02
1. Attaining Take 3, complete version 10:27
2. Attaining Take 4, insert 1 4:41
3. Sun Ship Take 1, breakdown 0:58
4. Sun Ship Take 2, complete alternate version 6:32
5. Sun Ship Take 3, insert 1 2:32
1. Sun Ship Take 4, released version 6:33
2. Studio conversation 0:43
3. Ascent Take 1, released version 11:36
1. Ascent Take 2, incomplete version 4:49
2. Ascent Take 3, false starts, incomplete version 3:51
3. Ascent Takes 4-6, inserts/false starts 1:39
4. Ascent Take 7, complete insert 4 4:03
5. Ascent Take 8, complete insert 5 4:05
1. Amen Take 1, alternate version 7:46
2. Amen Take 2, released version 8:17
All tracks composed by John Coltrane
John Coltrane: tenor saxophone; McCoy Tyner: piano; Jimmy Garrison: bass; Elvin Jones: drums
Recorded August 26, 1965 at RCA Victor Studios, 155 E. 24th St., New York, NY
Original recordings produced by Bob Thiele and John Coltrane
Recorded at RCA Victor Studios
Engineer: Bob Simpson
Produced for release by Harry Weinger, Richard Seidel and Michael Cuscuna
Remixed from the original three-track masters by Kevin Reeves, Sterling Sound, New York City
Mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Sound, North Hills, CA
This compilation (p) 2013 Universal Music Enterprises, a Division of UMG Recordings Inc., 2220 Colorado Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90404-U.S.A. Manufactured by Universal Music Enterprises. Warning: All rights reserved. Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws. B0018278-01 Printed in the U.S.A.
©2013 Mosaic Records L.L.C., 425 Fairfield Avenue, suite 421, Stamford, CT 06902. All rights reserved.
Phone: 203-327-7111/Fax 203-323-3526/e-mail: email@example.com. Web site: www.mosaicrecords.com.
Issued as Impulse AS-9211, August 1971
Produced by Ed Michel and Alice Coltrane
Their sequence and choices:
Sun Ship 6:14
Take 4, as shown above, with Elvin Jonesís drum coda edited out.
Dearly Beloved 6:28
Take 4, as shown above, with the discussion from Take 1 added as an introduction.
Take 2, as shown above.
The first 7:24 minutes of Take 3, followed by the last 3:58 minutes of Insert 1.
The issued version is Take 1 as shown above, with about 1:30 of the bass solo edited out